Nevada Contractor License Classifications

Nevada Contractor License Classifications

Obtaining a contractor’s license is the first step towards establishing a legitimate and gainful construction company; contracting job without a contractor license is illegal in Nevada and can incur heavy fines. However, before you appeal for a contractor license, you must first choose the ideal license type for you and your company.

General contractor license requirements in Nevada

All businesses or people who construct or alter any building, roadway, parking facility, railroad, excavation, or other construction in Nevada need a contractor license in Nevada, according to the Nevada State Contractors Board.

Before bidding, all contractors, including subcontractors, must first qualify for a license. You must be 18 years old and have 4 years of experience as a journeyman, supervisor, foreman, or contractor to be eligible for a Nevada contractors license. Your professional experience must have occurred within the last ten years of the date of your application. You may, however, pass a PSI general business and law exam.

Who is required to have a contractor’s license?

Anyone who fits the above criteria can work as a contractor in Nevada, however, depending on the type of contractor you want to be, you may need to research how Nevada divides its licenses. Nevada recognizes three types of building trades or fields.

Understanding what each license type enables is a crucial initial step in the licensing process because it will help you identify which exams you’ll need to take.

License classifications

General engineering contracting (Class A), general building contracting (Class B), and specialty contracting (Class C) are the three main classifications.

Working outside of your license classification might get you in a lot of trouble, so be sure you pick classifications that truly depict the work your company does daily.

Each classification of primary contracting has its set of sub-categories.

General engineer contractor (class A)

A general engineering contractor is responsible for overseeing fixed construction that necessitates specialist technical expertise. You will need a Class A license for projects involving waterways, transportation of liquid or gaseous substances.

Highways, home pools, airports, fencing, street pavement, and industrial plumbing are among the 25 sub-classifications of general engineering. See the official Nevada State Contractor’s Board Handbook for a complete list and description of each sub-classification in Class A.

General building contractor (Class B)

General building contractors have the legal authority to supervise the construction or reorganization of structures that are intended to shelter humans, property or animals. Both commercial and residential projects can be worked on by a general building contractor.

Specialty contracting work, such as electrical, plumbing, or HVAC, is not permitted with a Class B license; you must either obtain the proper specialty license or engage a subcontractor licensed in that profession.

The Class B license has only six sub-classifications:

  • Premanufactured housing;
  • Residential and small commercial;
  • Speculative construction;
  • Service stations;
  • Prefabricated steel constructions;
  • Commercial remodeling.

General engineering and building contractor (Class AB)

A Class AB General Building and General Engineering license is created by combining the Class A and Class B licenses. The Nevada Board gives this classification to applicants who have the necessary expertise and financial responsibility to hold a Class A and a Class B license.

Specialty contractor (Class C)

If the type of construction work you plan to conduct isn’t classified as Class A or B, you’ll almost certainly need a Class C license.

In Nevada, there are 36 specialist contractor licenses to choose from. There is no universal “Class C” license, unlike a Class A or Class B license; instead, each specialty trade requires its own license.

A Class C-15 license, for example, allows you to undertake roofing and siding work, as well as its sub-classifications – roofing, insulation, and waterproofing. You can undertake heating and plumbing contracting with a Class C-1 license.

Other specialist licenses include concrete contracting, sheet metal work, floor finishing, tiling, refrigeration and air conditioning, and electrical contracting. The Nevada Contractors Board Handbook has a complete list and detailed description of each type of Class C specialized contractor’s license.

Check out the Nevada Administrative Code for a complete list of specialty abilities, and the Nevada Administrative Code 624.140 – 642.574 for more information on the scope of work per classification.

Individual qualification

A qualifying individual (or “qualifier”), according to the Nevada State Contractors Board, is someone who meets the experience and exam requirements for a specific license classification. If you don’t meet the standards for a particular classification, another employee who is in an active and direct supervising role can qualify on your behalf.

How to become a general contractor in Nevada?

The following is a primary summary of how to become a general contractor in Nevada.

  • When you submit your application, you should pay a $300 non-refundable application fee.
  • There will be an extra $600 biennial charge if they accept your application.
    Bonds will be an additional expense. The cost of a surety bond mainly depends on the monetary limit you select, although it can range from $1,000 to $500,000. When choosing a bonding company, shop around.
  • You will need to take a CMS exam as well as a trade exam. They are $140 if you take both examinations at the same time. They are $95 each if purchased separately.
  • You should demonstrate financial responsibility in order to demonstrate your ability to manage a business’s finances.
  • You’ll need to produce four letters of recommendation. These will demonstrate that you have the required four years of job experience.
  • Every applicant must pass a background check.
  • Finally, any contractor working on residential premises must contribute funds to the Residential Recovery Fund. How much will be determined by the monetary limit you choose. There are no commercial liability insurance requirements in Nevada because it is a modified comparative negligence fault state, but you should consider getting one to limit risk and secure your contracts.

Fees for licensing and registration

It is critical that you account for the fees associated with obtaining a contractor’s license in Nevada as part of your application process.

  • $300 application fee;
  • Exam Fee – $140 (if taken all at once);
  • Fee for Licensing – $600;
  • A $200 administrative fee for submitting a cash deposit bond;
  • Residential Contractor Recovery Fund – $200 – $1000

Get your contractor license in Nevada

Knowing the many types of licenses you can get, will help you start your licensing process as soon as possible. Taking an online prep class is another method to expedite the process and make getting your contractor’s license easier. The Contractor’s Institute can assist you with every step of the process, from applying for the correct license to passing your exam on the first try.



Lily has six years of expertise as an SEO content writer. She has authored numerous articles for a variety of websites and businesses on various topics. She can help with ghostwriting, blog writing, guest posting, tech writing, etc. Lily writes SEO content for companies looking to improve their Google search rankings. She regularly writes articles about business licenses, digital marketing, cybersecurity, fashion, psychology, etc. Lily has established a unique writing style throughout the years of content writing for a variety of websites. She has also worked as an SEO specialist. Lily has achieved very high rankings for the websites with which she has collaborated. In her works, she employs a combination of various SEO and content tools, as she understands that well-optimized content is the KING.